I had some leftover boiled yam which i turned into this yummy delicacy for my kids, and I’m so glad i tried out this idea that came to my mind. Yam and Corn Fritters is a delicious Nigerian snack/meal, full of cheesy goodness that you should add to your kids meal list.
Yam can be boring to kids but i bet you they will love eating this new one. I used ingredients that will make it sweet and enjoyable just like the yam croquette.
Try Yam and corn fritters with fresh corn, now that the corn season is upon us. I bet you, the milky taste of fresh corn will sure beat the sweetcorn i used in this recipe. This will make an awesome and filling lunchbox meal for the kids and a handy snack for your toddler. Make it a breakfast or dinner with pap.
Cheesy Yam and Corn Fritters Recipe
- 2 slices cooked yam (Allow yam to cool well or cook the night before)
- 2 tbsps flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sweet or fresh cooked corn
- 1 sprig spring onion (chopped thinly)
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 or 2 leaves of nchuanwu/effirin/basil or scent leaf (chopped thinly)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of oil for each frying.
- Grate the yam into a bowl using the small holes of your box grater. Mix in the flour, spring onions, leaves and salt.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, add the milk and vanilla to it. Fold into the flour and gently mix to combine.
- Add the corn and cheese and give it a final gentle stir.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and once heated, scoop small mixtures into the pan. Allow to fry for about a minute and flip the other side. Add more oil to the pan before frying the next batches.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve alone or with any other accompaniment.
What kind of milk did you use for this
Anny, i used evaporated milk…will update it now.
nne biko, can u do a video for ur recipes, or a step by step picture look on the process
Ebele, i am really not good with photography and video. Some recipe ideas come spontaneously to me and i forget to take pictures while cooking. I wish i have someone that will be doing that, while i concentrate on cooking.I will surely get to that one day as i am learning everything by my self. If you require any clarification, pleas feel free to ask it either here or by email to [email protected] anytime. Thanks so much for visiting the blog.
Yemmie Hushin says
Where can I get cheddar cheese please? Or can it be optional? Any substitute? Too much questions…..sooo sowie… I love new n unique recipes. … God bless you
Yemmie, it is supermarkets depending on where you are…i made enquiries and they are very available in Nigeria. It is also optional but i love the taste it gave the yam.
Nice recipe will surely give it a try can I use some vanilla flavour for cake?
Thank you. Yes you can