This homemade tomato sauce is one that you can use to mix up or cook baby’s food. It is made with natural ingredients that are perfectly okay to be given to babies from six months. There are no added salts or artificial seasonings, yet the spices and herbs used gives it a lovely flavour.
Homemade tomato sauce can also be used in place of ketchup or as a base for homemade pizzas or wraps. Feel free to add your own preferred herbs and spices when making it and also the quantities you feel comfortable with.
Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 4 big fresh Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tin tomatoes (puree)
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Small chunk Ginger
- 2 Spring Onions
- Handful Scent leaves/Basil/Nchuanwu/Effirin
- Fresh or dry thyme
- Any other herbs you may like (eg. coriander, mint, parsley etc)
- 3 tbsps Olive or Vegetable oil
- Chop all the ingredients into a pot and put on heat. Leave to cook till the tomatoes softens well. Don’t cook till the water dries off please.
- Pour into a sieve with fairly big holes and mash to get the puree into a bowl. Otherwise, you can use a blender to blend to a puree.
- Add oil in a pot and once heated, add the tin tomato. Stir and cook for a few seconds, then pour in the cooked tomato puree.
- Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes and then bring down.
- Once cooled, scoop into your storage containers.
Your comments and feedbacks are very much appreciated. Get more recipes by clicking through the recipe index.
Have you tried any food idea from Mummy’s Yum? Send me a picture by email to [email protected] or on Mummy’s Yum Facebook page. You can also tag @mummysyum on Instagram to repost it.
Hi, I have been looking for homemade tomato puree, I’m surely going to try this out today and get back to you as my baby gets to 6months this week. I am sure he will love to eat lots of your recipes that I will try to cook for him. Thank you madam.
Oly, thank you so much and i hope baby enjoys the recipes…your feedback and questions is appreciated too.
Interesting…Will try it.?
Sure Lilian. feedback welcome too. Thanks
Waow, finally I prepared it and it came out good. I did a small quantity but I will have to do it big now. Thank you Chy.
You are very welcome Oly. I’m glad you like it.
Hiya,how long will the tomato sauce keep with the sporadic power supply we have here in Nigeria or can it keep without refrigeration.
I would say leave it for a week but you may have to add more oil to preserve it. A little of mine is still in the fridge after one week though.
Wow! Very helpful. Thanks ma’am.
You are a life saver, the toddler recipes are just what I needed for my 2 year old son.
Thank so much Grace
Adewoye oyindamola says
Wow this is very helpful, thanks ma’am
You are welcome Oyin.