This delicious yam and peas fritters will be loved by kids who ordinarily will not like to eat yam. They are loaded with nutrition which makes it the perfect breakfast either alone or with a side, a lunchbox meal and a finger food too.
A piece of fritter contains carbohydrate, protein, vitamins and a good amount of dairy which provides the kids with calcium for strong bones and teeth. You can substitute the peas with other vegetables like carrot, corn, bell peppers or even ugu and spinach. Try the cheesy yam and corn fritters here.
Watch the video
Yam and Peas Fritters Recipe
- 1-2 slices Nigerian yam
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (you can use evaporated milk or mix powdered milk in water)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1-2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder (substitute with onion if you like)
- 1 tsp paprika or pepper
- 1-2 tbsp flour (substitute with 1tbsp beans powder for a gluten-free version) Get how to make yours here
- salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Peel, cut and boil yam till soft, then allow to cool.
- Mash with a fork or use a grater to grate into fine crumbs.
- Break eggs into bowl, whisk and add the yam, cheese, peas and seasonings, then combine well.
- Add a little milk to loosen up the batter before sprinkling in the flour and mixing together once again.
- Pour a little oil in a pan, just enough to cover the base, then scoop and fry the batter, flipping to fry the other side.
- Its done once they are golden and crispy.
- Serve with pap, custard, porridge oats etc.