Having too many overripe plantains that are bound to be thrown into the dustbin? Make use of them in different ways, including making this perfect plantain puff puff.
These beautiful and delicious puffies are made by substituting most of the artificial sugar normally used to make puff puff with overripe plantain. Ripe plantain contains natural sugar and the more it ripens, the more sweeter it is.
You can make these plantain puff puff as a snack, a fingerfood or a main meal to include in your child’s plate with chicken or fish, peas, cucumber, carrot and the likes.
Here is my perfect plantain puff puff and I hope you enjoy making this for you kids and the family.
Watch the video
Plantain Puff Puff Recipe
- 1 very overripe plantain
- 31/2 cups plain flour
- 11/2 tbsp instant yeast
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 4tbsp powdered milk
- 2 medium nutmeg or 2 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Warm water
- Oil for frying
- Cut and peel plantain into a blender, add about a cup of water and blend into a puree.
- Put flour into a bowl and stir in the yeast, sugar, milk nutmeg and salt.
- Pour in the plantain puree and gradually add the water slowly while mixing with your hand till you get a dropping consistency – that is not too thick or too runny.
- Put enough oil in pan for deep-frying and once hot, scoop in to form ball-like shapes, then fry till golden and cooked.
- Scoop out, allow to cool and serve.
Enjoy other plantain recipes like the plantain pancake and more.