Coconuts are highly nutritious and the milk is a good substitute for cow’s milk, especially for those that their system do not tolerate dairy products. To make coconut milk, you will have to break a coconut, cut out and grate or blend the white meaty part with water, then squeeze and strain to extract the milk. You can do away with this process by using the canned one bought in stores just like I did in this case because you get a better coconut flavour.
Coconut milk has a very high fat content, so i did not use butter in this recipe. The canned milk is also thick, so i added some fresh milk to get the consistency i wanted. You can do the same or add water if you like.
Coconut Milk Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 175ml can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup milk or water (you may need more or less)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Oil to grease pan (I used coconut oil for more fragrance but vegetable oil is very okay)
- Sieve your flour and baking powder into a bowl. Always sieve your flour because it helps to remove lumps while incorporating air in it for an easy to mix and smoother batter.
- Add the sugar, salt and nutmeg to the flour mixture.
- Whisk the egg in another bowl, pour the coconut milk and some of the milk or water. Stir together and pour into the flour mixture. Using a fork or spoon, gently stir to combine all together to a smooth dropping consistency. You can add more liquid if too thick or to your taste.
- Put a frying pan on medium heat and put a little oil to grease the bottom of the pan. Using a spoon, scoop in some batter and swirl your pan so that it will spread over. Cook till bubbles appear on top of the pancake, then flip and cook the other side. Repeat process until you are done.
- Serve with any filling of your choice.