This is one of the recipes i call my ‘Leftover Makeovers‘. I’ve mentioned that I hate throwing away food. I also don’t like serving my leftover food the same way if I can recreate it in another way. This makes food, dining or eating more interesting and appetising to the kids without them giving you that “we are always eating the same thing” side eye.
So, i made this one from the leftover separately boiled white rice and beans which was eaten earlier in the week with Palm Oil Tomato Stew. I added crayfish and stockfish to give it another taste and wished I also had some scent leaves to add to it because it goes well with palm oil and takes the flavour to another level. Do try adding a small quantity of scent leaves (nchuanwu or efirin) or substitute with basil leaves and see how it tastes too.
If you are stuck of ideas on a good Monday morning, you can now give your leftover Sunday rice a makeover for your child’s lunchbox, if you prefer packing cooked meals. It adds to the variety of meals in your stash without you sweating for it. Even if you don’t have beans at hand, try it only with rice and garnish with vegetables.
Palm Oil Rice & Beans Recipe
Ingredients: (You will have to eyeball your measurements since we are using leftovers)
- Cooked plain white rice
- Cooked beans (black-eyed or brown beans)
- Palm Oil
- Onions -shredded
- Stockfish – cut into small pieces
- Curry powder
- Seasoning cube
- Pepper (optional) and salt to taste
- Boil stockfish with some water, a little of the onion, curry powder and seasoning cube. Allow to soften and till the water has reduced very well to almost drying up.
- Put a pot on heat and add the palm oil. Once it is hot, add the onions to fry.
- Add the crayfish, pepper and remaining seasoning cube. Fry until the foam appears, it does not take more than a minute for this to happen.
- Pour in the stock fish with the stock and allow to boil before stirring in the rice and beans. Remember the rice and beans are already cooked and does not need much liquid, but just enough to simmer them together.
- Combine all, adjust for taste and allow to simmer together till the water dries up.
- Remove from heat and serve.