The idea to steam noodles was borne out of some feedback I receive from a mum who said she’s constrained from trying some recipes because they require the use of oven. She wrote that some people at home don’t have cookers with but just the table top ones.
I experimented on this a long while ago, it turned out well and I shared the great news on social media. Here I am just getting the chance to add it on the blog.
This steamed noodles with mixed vegetables are just the same as the noodle and plantain cup, except for the method of cooking.
Steamed Noodles with Mixed Veg Recipe
You need the foil packs for cooking moimoi or any other container that can withstand steaming.
- 2 packs instant noodles
- 3-4 large eggs
- 1 chopped onions
- Chopped mixed vegetables of your choice – I used carrot, peas, sweetcorn and red pepper
- Seasonings (curry, thyme, mixed spice). You can use the sachet seasoning that comes with the noodles if you prefer that.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cold water
- Open the pack of noodles, break into pieces and soak in cold water for about 5 minutes to soften a bit, but still hard. Remove from water and allow to drain.
- Put the noodles in a bowl and mix with the seasonings, onions and mixed vegetables. Once mixed, scoop into foil plates up to 3/4 levels of the plates.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Pour into the foil plates just enough to reach the top of the noodles but not completely cover it.
- Steam in a pot of boiling water or a steamer for about 15-20 minutes, or till the egg sets. Bring down and allow to cool before removing from plates.
- Serve by slicing up and serving with pap or porridge or as a side dish. You can also dice the noodles, toss in tomato sauce with fried plantain and chopped meats or gizzard…just like the ‘gizdodo’