I love the taste of this Beans and Sweetcorn Purée so much because it is not bland like store-bought baby foods. I’m sure it will be enjoyed by babies as one of the introduction to their eating solid food. It is also a good source of carbohydrate, protein and vitamins for the baby.
Beans and Sweetcorn Purée is made with peeled beans, so I’ll call it a proper Nigerian baby meal. You can either use the black eyed beans or the brown one and while preparing peeled beans porridge for the whole family, just take out some and make baby’s purée.
Beans and Sweetcorn Puree Recipe
- ½ cup beans (black eyed or brown variety)
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 1 medium sized onions
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tbsp palm oil
- A small piece of dry fish (optional)
- Water for cooking
Method: (Watch the video below)
- Peel and wash off the back of beans as you do when making moimoi.
- Put the beans, chopped garlic and onions in a pot and add about 2 cups of water to cook. Add the fish too if using and boil till beans is soft and has absorbed half of the water.
- Once softened, add the oil and drained sweetcorn, then stir together and allow to simmer for a minute.
- Remove from heat and purée in a blender before serving.
I hope new mums will enjoy making this for their babies and if you do, don’t forget to share with your other mums.