Today is one of the days i try to introduce something different, keeping my fingers crossed that the kids will enjoy it. I have learnt to sneak vegetables into foods, since my little madam learnt to pick them out from her food, and this is one idea that sprang up. These veggie puffs are just plantains mixed with vegetables, a little flour and then deep fried to make it look like our Nigerian puff puff. The vegetables were added to give it that healthy twist, in addition to using plantain as against using only plain flour. I set out to make plantain fritters before making a volte-face, deciding to try out what came to my head.
I must say it came out nicely, though i made several trials before i could come out with my desired texture. I wanted it to be firm rather that soft and soaking with oil, which i felt would defeat the essence of my intention…healthy and sweet in one. If you are not a fry-fry addict like me, you may want to bake it in the oven. I haven’t tried the oven method yet, but i’m guessing it may come out like cookies which is not bad for the kids too. Give it a try and send your feedback or pictures through Twitter or Facebook.
I look forward to your responses on this recipe.
Recipe for Veggie Plantain Puffs
- 1 medium firm ripe Plantain
- 1/2 cup of flour – you may need more or less
- Mixed vegetables (coarsely blended, crushed or grated) – I used carrot and peas
- Flaked fish (optional)
- Sugar or honey to your taste (omit for under 1 year of age)
- 1 egg
- Salt (omit for under 1 year of age) & pepper to taste
- Boil plantain in water until soft and done. Peel of the back and mash with a fork till smooth.
- Beat egg and add into the mash. Add the vegetables, fish, salt, pepper, sugar or honey and combine thoroughly.
- Add the flour in small quantities and mix until you get a very firm dough.
- Use a small spoon to scoop or roll into balls with your hand and deep fry in medium heat until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with pap, custard, porridge or it can just be eaten as a snack with some dip.
*You can use a food processor to blend and mix all the ingredients to a dough.
Have you tried this? Please leave a feedback and if you haven’t, tell me why 🙂