Tofu is made from soyabeans milk and this tofu (wara) sauce is made with scrambled tofu and used in place of minced meat in this sauce that is almost like Bolognese Sauce.
Soyabeans is highly rich in protein and also a good source of iron for those that do not eat meat. You can therefore make this tofu (wara) sauce as a meat-free vegan meal or just as an alternative nutritious addition to the meals that you give your kids and the whole family.
This sauce can be used to eat rice, pasta, yam, potatoes, couscous, plantain etc. You can also switch it up by adding some mixed vegetables to it for more nutrition.
Tofu Sauce Recipe
- Tofu (I used a 250g pack)
- 3-4 plum tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- A finger of ginger
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1tbsp thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 1 seasoning cube
- 2 cooking spoons oil
- 1 small bunch or handful basil or scent leaves (Nchuanwu/Effirin)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend the tomatoes, onions, ginger, pepper and garlic cloves together and keep aside.
- Scramble the tofu in a bowl leaving some lumps to get that meaty feel when eating, then add the thyme, garlic powder, paprika, seasoning cube and salt.
- Combine well, spread and bake in the oven (180 degrees Celsius) for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil in a pot and fry the tomato mix until it boils down well.
- Stir in the curry powder and the baked tofu scramble, mix well and check for taste. You can add some liquid here if you don’t want it thick.
- Simmer for about a minute, then stir in the basil leaves and bring down.
You can use other spices or seasonings you prefer for this sauce, I like mine simple and less is always more.