This mash is perfectly suitable for babies from 7-8 months of age and is a good way of getting your baby to start getting used to food textures.
Potatoes are one of the first foods that can be introduced to babies as they are easily digestible and contains a high amount of starch which give them energy to be active. Beans contains fibre and is a source of protein, iron, manganese, folate and zinc which is good for baby, as well as the whole family.
The vitamins and minerals in potatoes are not high, so combining it with beans makes a more nutritious meal for baby. Always ensure you cook your beans until it is very soft in order to make it baby-friendly.
Baby Beans and Potato Mash Recipe
- ½ cup cooked beans (you can use peeled beans to make it more digestible and possibly reduce gas)
- 1 small potato (cut into small cubes)
- ¼ small onions (minced or chopped thinly)
- 2 tsp crayfish
- 1 tsp ground fish
- 1 tbsp palm oil
- Small piece of sardine (optional)
- Water for cooking
- Put cooked beans in a pot with the diced potato, onions and half cup of water to cook.
- Add water in bits if necessary until potatoes are soft. Drain the little water that may be left and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pot and once hot, add the ground crayfish and ground fish. Stir to combine and cook for less than a minute until fragrant.
- Mash the beans, potatoes and sardine with a fork. Stir into the palm oil sauce and combine well.
- Add the drained water that was kept aside to get the consistency you want for your child and serve.