Making Moimoi in foil paper plates is one invention i enjoy simply because i hate the stress of wrapping in leaves or even foil paper. You have to cut, fold, pour and fold again…alas mine will always leak and the whole process begins again. Thanks also to whoever invented the idea of baking moimoi in the oven, it reduces the stress a notch lower again.
Anyway, a day my foil plates weren’t enough for my moimoi mixture gave birth to the inspiration to use the tartlet and bundt cake moulds that i bought and had never used for one day. As soon as my little madam saw it, she exclaimed “mummy, cake” and i said “yes, it is moicake.” Suffice to say that she liked holding it and munching away, it also looked pretty in her lunchbox. Have you got any muffin cup, tray, character moulds…then put them to use and make a ‘moicake for the kids, they are small and fun to hold. By the way, this is what inspired my starting this blog as i discovered there were other mums out there looking for inspiration on how and what to feed their kids.
- 1 cup peeled and washed black-eyed or brown beans. This process has been made easy by the food processor, that it takes me less than 20 minutes to peel and wash ten cups of beans thoroughly.
- 1 medium size onions
- 1 egg
- Red pepper (tatashe)
- Seasoning and salt to taste
- Any one of corned beef, flaked and deboned mackerel or tuna fish
- 1 tablespoonful of vegetable oil
- Put the beans, onions, ginger and tatashe in a blender and add water to blend to a smooth texture. The water should just be enough to help the blender work well. If you notice, i didn’t add habanero pepper because this recipe is for kids and i use a good amount of ginger which already adds heat. You can add pepper if your little ones can take the heat.
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180°C. Pour the beans mixture into a bowl and add vegetable oil, egg, corned beef or fish and your seasonings. Stir well with your spoon and add water if it is too thick but it shouldn’t be watery.
- Spoon into the cake and tartlet moulds or your muffin pan and bake in the oven for about 20 mins or till a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean.
How do you get your kids eat what they ordinarily wont? What character and shape moulds do you have at home? Drop a comment and if you’ve tried this recipe, shout out too or send pictures on Instagram.