A worried mum asked what other drinks she could make for her son to take to school, as she’s tired of giving him only ‘caprisone’ and ‘bobo’ everyday. My thought was “what happened to water?” and “must it be juice or drinks all the time?”
I am not against giving children juice or sweetened drinks occassionaly, but putting them in a child’s lunchbox everyday is not, in my opinion a good idea. Besides it would certainly please your child’s dentist! This could be a dentist Milltown if you live local to the area.
THE WATER BOTTLE was what accompanied our school lunch everyday in those days, while the likes of caprisone, ribena, bobo and other fruit juices and drinks were an addition that was enjoyed once in a while…maybe twice a week or less.
The importance of drinking water cannot be over emphasised as the best drink you should make your child get used to. This is a habit, which if cultivated on time will surely grow with the kids and they will always reach out for water before any other drink.
If your child refuses to drink water and would rather have a sweet drink, then it is your fault (no mincing words). You taught that baby to prefer that sweet drink by offering it instead of water when they were younger, and they have become used to it. I know you might think you are doing good then, but the truth is the opposite.
According to a survey/research regarding children and drinking water, 70% of preschool children never drink plain water. That means they were not offered the most important nutrient for the body but rather juice, sweet and fizzy drinks. Fruit juices, sweet and sugary drinks dehydrates the body because the need water to process the sugars in them according to research. Sugary drinks have also been linked to weight gain health problems and contributes to obesity, according to the online health doctor MayoClinic.
It is in your hands to train your child to have water as his or her favourite drink by restricting sweet drinks and juice to an occasional rather than regular drink. Drinking less water causes dehydration which leads to a decline in mental and physical performance, as well as, poor concentration in class.
Water Bottles should come back and feature more in school kids lunchboxes…we carried it with pride then and they came in various shades of colour and shapes.
Now, here are the summarised FIVE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD GIVE YOUR CHILD MORE WATER
- It prevents dehydration.
- It flushes out unwanted toxins from the body.
- It helps with good blood circulation.
- It helps to transport nutrients effectively to all organs in the body.
- Drinking water helps with school performance.
2017 GIVEAWAY (NOW CLOSED)
I bought and gave away two dispensers in 2015 and I wish I have the resources to buy more to give away. I am the only one developing and giving you kid-friendly recipes, as well as my time free of charge on Mummy’s Yum…who else does that 🙂
I am hoping that sponsors will come and support this as a project for the benefit of kids so that we can make it a yearly affair. Sponsors are welcome and if you know a corporate organisation that can do so, please call on them to contact me or send me their details here on how to contact them.
Anyway, I made a post earlier in the year on Instagram where I used my daughter’s Hello Kitty Water Dispenser and many mums indicated interest in wanting it for their little ones. It is now up for grabs and all you have to do is as simple as this;
- Leave a comment here on why you want it for your child, niece, cousin or any kid you want to encourage to drink water.
- Please visit @mummysyum on Instagram and Facebook to share and tag your friends. Don’t forget to leave your Instagram handle (and Facebook name if different from your name) in the comment box here. Subscribe on Mummy’s Yum YouTube Channel and increase your chance of winning.
Terms & Conditions
- You must be a Mummy’s Yum subscriber.
- You must have a child below 5 years that can use it, preferably a girl because it is pink.
- Open to everyone in Nigeria, as long as you or your delegate can pick it up in Lagos (Ajah/Lekki Axis). If someone chosen cannot claim it or get a friend to pick it up on their behalf, then another winner will be selected and contacted.
- The winner will be named in the comment section when giveaway is closed.
- This giveaway closes on 15th August 2017.
- I will pick a winner based on the most persuasive comment made + other considerations.
I hope a child will enjoy using the dispenser as much as mine did. Now go and win.
THIS CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED.
Now for the CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY, I have two Penguin Mini Water Dispensers for two lucky winners. It is my own little way of encouraging someone to make their child drink more water. I went to dig out a picture of my then 2+ years old daughter reaching out for her water. The dispenser was a thing of interest which kept her wanting to drink water and fetching it by herself. It is also handy and still very useful up till today. To participate, you must; Be a Mummy’s Yum subscriber and also leave a comment in the comment box. Please add your Instagram handle, if possible. Follow and tag 3 friends on the giveaway post on @mummysyum Instagram page Be resident in Nigeria Have a child that is 5 years and below. I will request for your KVN (Kids Verifification Number) to confirm it…??just joking. Seriously, it is best suited for those ages. Two winners will be randomly chosen after December 15, 2015. I hope we have more fun and knowledge while at it. Keep them hydrated as we enjoy the Christmas Season.