Egg-in-a-Hole Toast is simply egg fried in a hole made in the middle of toasted bread. It is one easy, creative and fun way of making fancy breakfast that the kids will love. All you need are eggs, sliced bread, butter and your cookie cutter.
I used one egg to make the two slices of toast because they are a small sized loaf. You can use one egg per slice or however you like it. After cooking, you can make it into a sandwich with other toppings like cheese, tomato, lettuce, bacon etc to create a more filling breakfast for bigger tummies.
Egg-in-a-Hole Toast Recipe
Ingredients: (You need a cookie cutter or something to cut out the middle of the bread)
- 2 medium-thick slices Bread
- 1 -2 Eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground seasoning (cinnamon, pepper, cloves etc)
- Spread some butter on each side of the bread slices, then punch out holes in the centre of the bread with the cookie cutter. Keep the cutout aside.
- Whisk egg/s in a bowl with the salt and seasonings.
- Put a pan on low-medium heat and add a knob of butter. Once it sizzles, place the bread in the pan and pour the egg mixture into the holes to cook.
- Allow the egg to cook for about a minute or two and then carefully flip with a spatula to cook the other side of the egg.
- Remove from heat and serve with a cup of hot beverage or porridge.
Tip: You can cut this into stripes or small chunks for your toddler to enjoy as a snack.