Sometimes it is good to give treats to children especially during festive periods like the Mother’s Day and Easter holidays coming up. These homemade vanilla jam cookies are very easy to make and because it is homemade, i reduced the sugar that i used to make it since, it is going to be smeared with jam as well. It came out very tasty and crumbly delicious with sweetness is still very well intact as a result of the jam.
For the benefit of all mums, i made these without the need of using a food processor to knead your dough. All you need are your hands and your cookie cutters in different shapes. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you definitely have some round things to make round cookies, for example an empty tin tomato can and the cover of a bottled water can serve as the big and small circles 🙂
I made a video too, so you can watch how easy it is to make these yummy cookies.
Homemade Vanilla Jam Cookies Recipe
- 250g plain flour + extra for kneading and sprinkling
- 150g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavour
- Jam (Any flavour like strawberry, orange, raspberry etc)
You also need a rolling pin and cookie cutters.
Watch the video
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and mix to get a breadcrumbs texture.
- Break in the egg and vanilla flavour, then mix gently to get a soft dough. Allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place dough on a flat surface, knead gently and roll out flat but thick with a rolling pin.
- Use the big cookie cutters to cut out cookies and place on a baking tray. Ensure you get even numbers for all the cookies
- Use the smaller cutter to cut out the middle in one half of all the already cut cookies in the baking tray.
- Once done, put in the oven to bake for 12 – 15 minutes. Don’t worry if it feels soft when you take it out, it will harden once cooled.
- Allow to cool and then spread jam on the flat cookies, cover with the ones with a hole.
You can add these cookies in the lunchbox as an after meal treat or dessert for the kids…they’ll surely love you more for that.