Sweet potato is everything sweet and since I discovered it is more nutritious than its Irish specie, I’ve stuck more to making it for the kids. Sweet potato is one of the best sources of Vitamin A, it is high in fibre and thus quite filling. Kids that don’t like drinking water will surely take a cup after eating this.
Sweet Potato Spiced Chips is a sweet comfort food that the kids will enjoy on a lazy saturday afternoon. I usually cut sweet potatoes in circles before I deep fry them but it just occurred to me to cut it this time like regular chips and also add some spices to it. Just as I thought, it came out well and I’m sure yours would too. You can use any spices of your choice – curry, thyme, all purpose seasoning, chilli, rosemary, seasoning cube etc.
Sweet Potato Spiced Chips Recipe
- 1 or more tuber of sweet potato
- Spices of your choice – I used turmeric and all purpose seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel and cut potatoes into long thick stripss like your regular chips. Put in a bowl of water as you are cutting it to avoid discolouration (potatoes tend to change colour quickly once the back is peeled)
- Put water in another bowl and add all your spices and salt. Rinse the peeled potatoes into the bowl and allow to sit in the spiced water for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oil and once hot, fry the potatoes till they are crispy and golden brown. Because you are scooping the potatoes straight from the spiced water, it will make a lot of bubbly noises but don’t worry, the water helps it’s texture after cooking.
- Serve with ketchup and chicken or other desired choices.
Have you checked the improved meal planners? They now contain links to the recipes, so you don’t need to search the blog to get a recipe anymore. Download it to your phone and get the recipe you want with just one click.