Who doesn’t love sugarcane? That long stick that is filled with juicy sweetness we ate as kids. I saw sugarcane and bought some because it’s been more than 10 years since I last had one, and also I wanted the kids to experience what we enjoyed then…chewing the sticks, sucking the liquid and then spitting out the chaff.
Sugarcane contains about 80% of water and then natural sugar which gives it that juicy sweetness. The sugar is healthier than refined sugar because it contains nutritional vitamins and minerals (vitamins A,B,C, calcium & potassium), as well as having a low glycaemic index which makes it a good snack for diabetics when taken in moderation. Sugarcane can be an instant energy booster for active kids, providing their bodies with glucose which helps maintain good energy level and performance in school.
Serve sugarcane as a snack for the kids alone or in one or more delicious ways that they will like…just like mine.
Sugarcane Snack Recipe
- Dark chocolate (if you want a taste of two wowzers…ask the kids)
- Cut off the thick bark of the sugarcane and slice of till you get the soft firm juicy skin. Most times in Nigeria, the sellers do cut off the main bark when you buy the sugarcane.
- Cut with a knife into sticks or chop into cubes. It all depends on how your kids want it.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or put in a plastic plate and melt over a pot of boiling water.
- Serve the sugarcane sticks with the melted chocolate dip or coat the cubes with the chocolate before serving.