Whenever a child refuses a food, try and introduce it again and again or try making it in a different way. Egg is one food that my big madam has vehemently refused to eat, be it boiled or fried, except when it is added in egg stew or noodles. That is not enough for me because i really wanted her to try eating egg on its own.
I remembered our usual sunday breakfast with my siblings then in Lagos, where i normally steamed well seasoned beaten eggs in plastic plates like moimoi and added to whatever we were having. My seasonings then were onions and peppers to give it that fiery bite…definitely not for a child. This one was made with her favourite veggies, so the nutrition is not questionable.
I tried baking these in the oven with my Moicake moulds and they came out nice but looked too dry for my liking, probably it stayed too long. This is very easy to make and it is another way to serve egg breakfast to the kids, as well as also making a good handy and pretty lunchbox meal. Try it with your child’s other favorite vegetables and see their delight…mine finished hers and she gave it the name “pie”
Steamed Egg with Sweetcorn & Peas Recipe
You will need small bpa-free plastic plates with cover or ceramic, silicone or foil plates…anything you can make moimoi with..
- 2 eggs
- A handful of sweetcorn and peas
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Seasoning of choice – thyme, ginger, cloves, scent leaves, nutmeg etc (optional)
- Crack eggs into a bowl, add salt, pepper and seasonings, then beat together. Meanwhile, oil the plates well, to ensure that the eggs come out without sticking once done. I made that mistake as i forgot to oil one of my plates well.
- Fold in the vegetables and pour into the plastic plates and cover.
- Place in a pan of boiling water and steam for 15-20 minutes or till the eggs are done.
- Serve warm or cold alone or with their favourite drink, porridge, pap. You can equally make it a side dish to their main meal like rice.