When mangoes are in season, you can use them for a variety of things that the kids will love apart from eating it away on its own or slicing and adding to their lunchbox and meals. Mangoes are good for making smoothies and ice lollies or popsicles to beat the hot weather. Mango is also good for babies and is one of the first purees that you can include in your baby’s meal from 6 months.
Using mango in savoury dishes like this simple mango sauce transforms your simple tomato sauce to a delightful one and you don’t need too much ingredients or spices to make this tasty. So you need not throw away those overripe mangoes when you can put it to good use in this simple and fast meal.
Simple Mango Sauce Recipe
- 1 overripe mango
- 1-2 medium tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 seasoning cube
- 1 cooking spoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water or stock
- Chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces or alternatively blend with a blender if you prefer a smooth one.
- Cut mango, scrape and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash with a fork and keep aside.
- Pour oil into a pot and once heated, fry the onions until tender then add the tomatoes. If blended together, then just pour your blend into the oil and fry.
- After a minute or two, add the curry powder, seasoning cube and pepper (if using). Stir and simmer, adding a little scoop of water to prevent it from drying.
- Add the mashed mango, stir and check for taste. Remove from heat after a minute.
- Serve with yam, rice, potatoes or any food of choice.
*Make this yummier with added protein like diced chicken breast, fish or prawns.
Try these mango recipes for babies and kids –