I always thought of sardine as a budget alternative to using fresh or frozen fish then. Little did i know that it is full of nutrients which are especially good for kids. It touted as one of the healthiest fishes to eat because it contains a lot of vitamins and good fat like vitamin A, D and omega-3. Also, it is very rich in calcium and that is what actually made me read about it because the Health Nurse recommended it for my 9-month old who was not so keen on taking her milk. According to her, the canned sardine contains a lot of calcium because of the bones in it, which have been made soft and edible. For those of us that do not see enough sunshine to expose our kids to, fish especially oil rich ones like sardine are a good source of vitamin D that will also help them to absorb the calcium necessary for their growing bones.
Since canned sardine reminded me of budget cooking, i decided to also use tinned tomato only to make this jollof rice. To make it look more like blended tomato puree, i mixed the tinned puree with water, added some seasoning too before frying the stew. If you are low on budget or want to make jollof rice “sharp sharp” without compromising on nutrition for your child, then try this.
Sardine Jollof Rice Recipe
- 2 cups rice (parboiled)
- 1 small 70g tin tomato puree
- 1 or 2 cans of tinned sardine
- 1 cooking spoon of vegetable oil + oil from tinned sardine
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- seasoning cube
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water for cooking
Serve sardine jollof rice in the lunchbox with
Watch the video
- Mix tomato puree with water, curry and thyme.
- Pour both the vegetable and sardine oil in a pot and heat up. Add the chopped onions to fry till translucent and then add the tomato puree.
- Fry for about 3-5 minutes maximum and add the quantity of water to cook your rice. Add some of the sardine, stock cube, pepper and salt.
- Allow the stock to boil and add the parboiled rice. Stir and adjust your seasoning before adding the rest of the sardine, then cover to cook. You may top up the water to cook the rice more to your desired texture.
- Give a final mix to combine the sardine well with the rice.