Ripe plantains are sweet and are always a favourite for kids, even picky eaters. These ripe plantain muffins are a very good alternative to offering kids cupcakes that are laden with flour, sugar and butter as a snack. They taste as sweet as cupcakes and can be served in various ways as shown in the video demo.
Ripe plantain muffins is also a good lunchbox addition for the kids. It is simple to make with normal ingredients you can purchase anywhere. Remember, the more ripe the plantain, the sweeter the muffins will taste. So get those ripe and over-ripe plantains and turn them into muffins. You can also turn into a cake by using a cake pan incase you don’t have a muffin tray.
Ripe Plantain Muffins Recipe
- 1 very ripe plantain
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla flavour
- 1 tsp ground ginger or any other spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves)
- 1- 3 tbsps milk
- Peel off the back of the plantain, chop into pieces into a blender.
- Break in the egg, add baking powder, ginger and vanilla. Blend to a smooth paste.
- Add the milk in bits to dilute the thick paste without making it too watery.
- Grease muffins pans and pour the batter into the holes about ¾ full, then bake in a pre-heated oven (160°C) for 20 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow to cool before removing from pan.
- Serve alone, with pap, custard, porridge or you can turn into a cupcake with whipped buttercream or ganache.
Watch how i made it