Making toddler and kids meals with green leafy vegetables makes it nutritiously packed with vitamins and minerals which are very essential for their proper development. This potato, corn and vegetables is a perfect one made richer with tasty mackerel fish, a good source of protein, omega-3 and B vitamins, as well as red palm oil rich in vitamin E and beta-carotene that is converted to vitamin A in the body.
Potato, corn and vegetables is suitable for toddlers from 1 year upwards. It can be made for lunch or dinner, as well as a good lunchbox meal for pre-schoolers and big kids too.
- 1-2 cooked Irish potatoes (diced)
- 3 tbsps palm oil
- 1 small piece of mackerel fish (cooked, deboned & mashed)
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- 1 big handful or small bunch of ugu or spinach (finely shredded or steamed and cut-mashed with a knife)
- ¼ small onion (chopped thinly or grated)
- 1-2 cloves garlic or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Salt & or pepper to taste
- Pour palm oil into a clean pot and put on heat. Once heated, add the onions and chopped garlic to sauté for a few seconds.
- Tip in the mashed mackerel, stir and add a ¼ cup of water, cooked potatoes, sweetcorn, ground ginger, salt & pepper (if using), then simmer for a few minutes topping up with water if it seems dry.
- Add the vegetables finally, stir, check for taste and bring down.
Note: If you don’t have already cooked potatoes, then peel and cube raw potatoes, add in a pot and add all the ingredients except the green vegetables and cook till done, then add the vegetables. However believe me, the taste is not the same 🙂
Leave a comment below if you try this and don’t forget to subscribe to Mummy’s Yum emails below. Join us on MOMY for more interaction on kid-friendly, healthy meals and more. Don’t forget to also like and follow us.
Have you signed up to Mummy’s Yum Newsletter?. Click here to subscribe and download your free pancake eBook.