This is another Irish potato meal that the kids will love to have in their lunchboxes. It is quite easy to make as well and works better with cold potatoes…that means using boiled potatoes that was probably last night’s dinner.
You see, no one will give you a side eye for serving them the same thing they just ate last night. You can either deep fry or bake in the oven, it’s entirely up to you.
The breadcrumbs give it that crunchy bite on the outside while still firm on the inside. When i finished making these, they felt so soft that i thought i had goofed. Just allow it to cool and it will firm up pretty well.
- Cool boiled Irish potatoes
- 1 egg
- Seasoning and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 180°C if you prefer baking to frying. Line and spray your baking tray with oil.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl till it is smooth. Beat the egg together with your seasoning and mix into the mashed potatoes. If you are making a very small batch, you may need not to add the whole egg. The mash should still have a consistency that you can roll into a ball.
- Using your hands, scoop small quantities and roll into balls before dipping or covering with the breadcrumbs.
- Place on the baking tray, spray the balls with a little oil and bake until it is golden brown. Alternatively, you can deep fry in hot oil until golden brown too.
- Serve with tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce or ketchup.
Note: You can go the extra mile by adding different flavours and variations. Make it cheesy or give it the bacon taste and maybe stuff with cornbeef, fish or even vegetables to make it more yum.