Yam is one of the staples we have and it is a root tuber that can be cooked in various ways. It contains a lot of carbohydrate and makes quite a filling meal for adults. Cooked yam can be cut into small chunks and given to toddlers as a finger food to nibble on, which is quite a good way to encourage them to learn self feeding.
For babies, yam can be mashed or pureed according to their age and then mixed with other food sources, so that they get enough nutrients while enjoying a satisfying meal. This tasty yam puree is one of the ways to feed baby right with simple Nigerian food staples.
Tasty Nigerian Yam and Peas Puree Recipe
- Small slice of yam
- A handful of peas
- ½ of a medium pear (peeled)
- Peel yam and put in a pot of water just enough to cook it. Bring to boil until yam is soft.
- Chop the pear and add to the pot to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peas lastly to simmer for a minute and bring down.
- Put everything in a blender and puree until smooth. Add cold water or milk to get a lighter consistency.
Tip: Mash for older babies instead of blending so that they can chew.