Some kids are turned off at green vegetables in their food and will push it to a side of the plate. As much as it is always good to encourage them to eat their vegetables, there are times when you can as well hide the veggies in their meal to get them eat up without resistance.
I have a toddler that eats any green leaf in sight, so i don’t worry about her but my picky eater ‘big madam’ will quarrel with the carrots and all the green veggies in her plate. So, hiding them saves me the breakfast stress and everyone is happy in the morning.
Green veggies pancake makes a good family breakfast, so it is not just for kids. It is equally a good one to add to the lunchbox without much fuss.
Green Veggies Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 – 2 handful raw green vegetable of choice (ugu, green, kale, green beans or peas)
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey (you can substitute with sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or melted butter
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Oil or butter for frying
- Pour milk, water and vegetables into a blender and whizz until veggies are blended.
- Add all the remaining ingredient to the blender and blend again to combine completely.
- Grease frying pan with oil or butter and put on low to medium heat.
- Pour in your green pan batter, swirl to cover the pan and cook until bubbles appear on the top. Flip to cook the other side.
- Roll pancakes and drizzle with more honey to serve. You can also serve with yogurt or make it savoury by making a tomato sauce or stew to go with it.
Have you tried this? Check out other recipes with hidden vegetables for picky eaters. Get more interactive with me on Facebook and Instagram with more recipe ideas, tips and information you will love.