Do you have an overripe plantain staring forlornly at you in the kitchen? Then put it to good use by making these plantain meatballs for the kids. Fried plantain meatballs steps up the deliciousness in meatballs for kids with the sweetness of plantains infused into the balls. This is just a 3-ingredient easy recipe with just plantain, minced meat and breadcrumbs.
You can easily make your own breadcrumbs at home by clicking here and if you don’t have an oven or blender, then click here to get the alternative. I season my breadcrumbs, so there was no need to add any other seasoning to this recipe and the plantain sweetness is good enough too.
Serve these meatballs alone with ketchup or tomato stew, or add to rice, pasta, soups or just anything the kids will love. Is it good for adults? Don’t ask me how many i ate 🙂
Fried Plantain Meatballs Recipe
- 250g minced meat or ground beef
- ½ or ¾ medium overripe plantain
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Watch the video
- Peel and cut plantains into a bowl. Mash with a masher or fork till smooth. You can use your blender too if you are making a bigger batch.
- Add the minced meat and breadcrumbs to the bowl, then mix well to combine.
- Roll mixture into small balls and fry in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till the brown and cook well.
*Meatballs freeze well and you can make a lot and then freeze. I find it easier this way as i can take out and add to the children’s meal, give them to snack on and also add to the lunchbox.