Beans is one of the very basic and cheap source of protein, but it is not a favourite food for most children except if it has a sweet accompaniment. Yam is also not the favoured ‘accompanier’ or partner for beans, so I have a recipe with the preferred plantain partner, as well as another one made with sweetcorn…another loved recipe.
Making beans with yam was seriously on my mind and in the process of cooking, I decided to do something different…make it creamy with a different taste and cut yams in little mouthfuls.
It sure turned out a meal that was loved by the kids and I hope your kids and the family will enjoy this flavoursome taste of beans.
CREAMY BEANS WITH YAM CUBES
- 2 cups beans
- 2-3 slices of yam (cut into cubes)
- 1 medium onions
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- Chopped garnishing (e.g. sausages, tomatoes, peppers)
- 1 seasoning cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water for cooking
- Rinse and soak beans for at least half an hour. You can omit this and cook straight away if you like or using a pressure cooker. It just helps to reduce the cooking time.
- Put beans in a pot of boiling water up to the level of the beans. Add onions and seasoning cube, then cook and keep topping water till beans is soft.
- Add the yam cubes and once the water level has reduced to at least a quarter, pour in coconut milk and add the remaining seasonings. Cover the pot and reduce to medium heat to simmer for at least 5 minutes. Remember not to stir the contents up till this moment if you don’t want the food to burn below the pot. The yam will not take time to cook and should be done by now.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the contents, crushing some bits of the beans to your desired consistency. Check for taste and adjust your seasonings before putting down.
I will like you to follow Mummy’s Yum on Instagram. You can click here or search for @mummysyum to get it. Remember to tag your friends, leave a comment and as well tag me when you cook up some of my recipes you love for the kids.