Carrot and Oats cake is filled with healthy stuff…from oats to carrots, yoghurt, milk, honey and lovely natural spices that gives it a flavoursome aroma. This is a snack that can be made to be enjoyed by the kids at home without much guilt.
Now, as much as we should indulge the kids with the sweet stuff…cakes, chocolates, biscuits and all, they should not be the main and everyday food for their growing bodies. Carrot and Oats Cake is indulgent but also healthy due to the inclusion of carrots, as well as oats which are vegetables and a healthy carbohydrate respectively. Yogurt is a good source of calcium as well as helping to give the cake a moist texture they’ll love.
This will be a good substitute for bread at breakfast and a healthier snack for the lunch box instead of the usual cakes, chocolates and pies. It is equally suitable to feed your toddler as a finger food.
Carrot and Oats Cake Recipe
- ½ cup oats (ground)
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 2 tbsps sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Put ground oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt in a bowl and mix.
- Break the eggs, whisk and add the milk, honey and yogurt, then mix well together.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and gently mix with a spoon or spatula. Fold in the grated carrots too.
- Scoop into cake pan and place in the oven to bake for about 35 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and serve.