The hot weather that we are experiencing is a perfect excuse for kids to request for ice cream or something cold every now and then. I have actually been asked for yogurt and juice today before i remembered i had some bananas in the freezer.
The first time i was told that i could use bananas to make ice cream, i took it with a pinch of salt as i wondered how banana alone can be creamy like ice cream. I went to ask Google and saw a lot of recipes in different combinations, some had peanut butter, almonds, chocolate and strawberries added to it. Apparently, the high pectin in bananas helped in giving that creamy consistency, so i read. Though it has been termed ‘fitfam’ and for people that are watching their diet, or for vegetarians, it is quite healthy.
It will be a very good alternative to the general ice cream we buy for kids and will certainly help to reduce the amount of sugar and artificial colours they consume. It is healthy; it is kid-friendly and a good way to use up your bananas before they go bad…i’ll add this to my leftover conversions. I used frozen bananas earlier cut up, then i added milk, that’s all.
- 3 medium Bananas – Cut and frozen
- 2 tbsp of condensed milk
- Toppings or sprinkles of your choice
- Put the bananas and milk in your blender, chopper or food processor. Blend until it is smooth.
- Scrape the sides down and continue blending until it is creamy and starts coming together. No one needs to tell you it is done.
- Add your toppings and spoon into their cups or ice cream cones to enjoy.
You can be more adventurous by adding other things you like to it. Don’t forget to share, like and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.