I am not a big fan of making heavy meals for school lunch. Not that it is bad but several thoughts and questions run through my mind. Will it still be warm by lunchtime? Won’t it go bad before mealtime? Will my picky eater finish two spoons successfully before lunch time is over?…all sorts. I also think that at times, the prospect of losing most of their playtime will keep them from sitting down to eat well.
Handy and filling alternatives are always a good resort for me. Something like Pancake, Sandwich or Rolls, Akara, Moimoi, cake or anything that they can easily pick and eat is what I go for. With this sandwich, just filled with peanut butter and sliced apples, they will have enough energy to keep their engines running. I’m sure when they get home, they can now gladly eat their main meal without any prompting.
You can equally make this for breakfast or at any other time for your kids delight. Happy new month and blessings as you enjoy this simple and filling ‘grab’ meal.
Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwich Recipe
- Sliced Bread
- Peanut Butter – you can actually make yours by blending groundnuts till it is smooth, then you can spice it up to your fancy with honey, vanilla flavour, salt, pepper or our local pepper soup spices)
- Apples – sweet red or green ones
- Toast the bread slices first if you want and the spread the peanut butter on two slices.
- Thinly slice the apples and place them on one of the sliced bread. You can actually layer more than is shown on the picture.
- Cover with the other slice of bread and cut into two or four.
- Continue with the process to make the quantity you want.
- Hand it over to the owner, it is not yours 🙂
Have you tried other lunchbox ideas that are not cooked food? Click here to get lunchbox ideas including cooked ones, hot foods, finger foods and snacks.